Sunday, December 8, 2013

Khan Academy

I think Khan Academy is a great tool to help students learn without having a teacher actually in the classroom, but I do not think all students will benefit from this type of instruction exclusively. I have students with learning disabilities such a dyslexia and ADHD in my classroom. Having them sit in front of the computer and watch a video or practice a skill online might not be the best way for them to learn. For me personally as a student, I would not like having to read off the computer or watch videos to learn a concept. I have lots of distractions at home, ( kids, husband, work, chores...) Trying to learn a concept or complete an assignment at home doesn't work for me because something else comes up or needs my attention. I can learn best at school and get most of my assignments done at work. I can see how Khan Academy has benefits and I will definitely incorporate it in my classroom, but I can not see it as the only method of instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment